Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thanksgiving (wasn't that long ago)


I should be doing something constructive around the house right now but I was reminded today that my life must be incredibly boring since I no long post about it.  Well...thats true but I'll bore you all anyways. 

I finally remembered to snag Matt's camera and get the pictures off of it which, as it turns out, there are only a couple so I will have to bug other people to get pictures.  Thanksgiving was a lovely day, it is one of my favorite holidays because it centers almost 100% around food.  Yay food!  As always I made way too much food but this time I also encouraged others to make way too much food.  Since we were having mostly internationals over for dinner I made all the traditional foods; mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, candied yams, turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie.  mmmm, I'm almost hungry again.  I also whipped up a fantastic cheese platter, because really if there isn't a cheese platter, why bother?  I actually didn't make everything.  Nathan made the 10lbs of potatoes and the giant casserole of stuffing and Matt made the gorgeous turkey.  I had planned to make it myself but in hindsight watching the Modern Marvels about turkeys on Thanksgiving Eve was not my best move ever.  Luckily Matt is a trooper and stepped up to job.  I read an article in Bon Appetit that said that brining is so out of fashion now and all the cool people are salting their turkeys.  Since I'm a cool person I had to salt ours, plus its about twenty million times easier than brining.  I made a tasty salt rub with lots of herbs and Matt I coached him how to wash the turkey and then salt it but I really couldn't bring myself to handle the bird after watching how amazing they are. .  I guess the magazine people were right because everyone who had had turkey before said it was the best they'd ever had.  Catarina, who dislikes turkey, even asked if she could get some to take home.  Go Team Matt and Kelly!  It was a super exhausting endevour but everyone had a great time except for Catarina's husband who had what she called a Portuguese super cold.  I put two pictures of Matt's amazing turkey and one where you can kind of see the apartment and the awesome pumpkin pie I made.



No comments: