Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What's cooking Uncle Sam?

Matt and I made an effort to finish all of our errands this weekend so that we'd have Sunday free to have fun. Mission accomplished. We really haven't gone out yet since moving to our new place and we decided to go touristing. I listen to a lot of NPR as I go about my household duties and I recently heard about an exhibit at the National Archives that sounded right up my alley. It's called "What's Cooking Uncle Sam?" The exhibit is all about how the government has influenced the way America eats.

After church and some lunch Matt and I drove on down to the metro station. Being the well seasoned metro rider, Matt helped me buy a smart pass card. He is so cool he doesn't even take his out of his wallet, he just taps his wallet on the space and he walks through. We both read for most of the trip and I only got a little bit of motion sickness.

The exhibit was really cool and with a lot of interesting facts that neither of us knew. Did you know that back in the 30's butter was its own food group? Mmmm, butter. We also had no idea that it wasn't until 1965 that manufacturers had to start putting the ingredients on the food labels. Crazy. Another thing that didn't occur to either of us until we were in the building- the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and the Bill of Rights are all housed at the National Archives. There were very few people there so we had a chance to look at then for quite a while. So, one museum down, a lot more to go :)

No comments: